Wawasan Open University is a private university in Malaysia that provides working professionals access to affordable, quality higher education via open distance learning (ODL), allowing them to study while they continue in their jobs. The university spread its wings in September 2013 to offer full-time degree programmes for STPM school leavers and diploma holders at its Main Campus in Penang.
WOU aims to maintain the highest institutional standards and achieved a Tier-5 or “Excellent” rating by the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) in the SETARA local university ranking exercise. All WOU programmes are accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) and approved by the MOHE. There are currently more than 50 programmes offered for part-time undergraduate and postgraduate study at WOU in such fields as management, accounting, banking and finance, sales and marketing, psychology, liberal studies, English studies, construction management, electronics, manufacturing, and education.
The university also offers six full-time, on-campus learning Bachelor’s degree programmes in Penang in the fields of management, accounting, sales and marketing, banking and finance, logistics and supply chain management, and computer systems and networks.
There are four schools under Wawasan Open University:
- School of Science and Technology
- School of Education, Languages and Communications
- School of Business and Administration
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
WOU also conducts learning, training and research through its:
- Centre for Graduate Studies
- Centre for Professional Development and Continuing Education (PACE)
- Institute for Research and Innovation (IRI)
WOU aspire to be a vibrant learning community that inspires learning, supports innovation and nurtures all-round personal growth.
WOU commit themselves to the expansion of opportunities in higher education and to teaching excellence aimed at increasing the level of knowledge and scholarship among all Malaysians.
WOU believe that students have the potential to develop to the fullest, in line with the cherished noble values that we all share.
OUM believe in:
Upholding high institutional standards
- Provide lifelong learning and personal development opportunities for everyone. To this end, we ensure open admission and access to all.
- Believe in providing an innovative, comprehensive academic programmes that offer you top quality instruction, high institutional standards and a broad range of educational opportunities.
- WOU believe in recognising the value and expertise of our employees, fostering mutual respect and upholding their rights. As an equal opportunity employer, Wawasan Open University provides a supportive environment that helps employees attain the right balance between their working lives and their personal commitments.
- Recognise the right and responsibility of our employees to play an active role in their professional development as they strive for excellence. We help them in this process by creating an honest and transparent decision-making process.
Valuing citizens and the community
- To live up to the trust placed in us by our sponsors, our students, and private donors, WOU are committed to the responsible management of our financial resources.
- Aim to contribute to the educational, economic, human resources, technological, socio-economic and cultural development of the nation while preserving ecological sustainability.