UK Master of Philosophy in Engineering Dual Degree Awarded by Asia Pacific University & Staffordshire University @ Kuala Lumpur
With engineers forming an integral part of any organization looking to increase efficiency or create a better product through a creative, innovative solution, engineering graduates are likely to find themselves in high demand across a wide range of sectors. This research programme allows you to choose from a variety of specialisations and contribute to your preferred field, allowing the potential to apply your in-depth expertise to further study.
Class conducted at: Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation (APU)
- Course Profile
- Awarding Body
- Student Testimonials
- Why Study at APU?
- Entry Requirements & Payment Plan
- Additional information
What’s special about this M.Phil programme
This programme is specifically designed to provide:
- Knowledge to enhance technical capabilities within the subject area.
- Understanding of how to innovate, generate and manage the creation of new ideas.
- In-depth knowledge of a certain domain of knowledge, that is related to engineering.
- Advanced research experience and skills that enable students to pursue a PhD programme.
- Class: Students will be assigned a supervisor and no classes for this programme
- Accreditation: Provisionally Accredited by MQA, MOHE and KPT
- Assessment: Research Based
Why choose APU’s M.Phil?
- The knowledge and practical experience gained during your studies will prepare you to move into engineering, your capabilities will be recognised and valued whatever sector you choose to enter after graduation.
- Develop your ability to understand, manage and deliver complex professional projects within your chosen engineering discipline.
- This programme is structured to help you develop a sense of independence and confidence in your ability to think critically and conduct fundamental or applied research. Regardless of your specialisation, you will engage with a stimulating mix of theory and analysis, setting you apart in your pursuit of higher-level opportunities.
Award & Recognition
- 1 Silver Award for the Invention, Innovation and Technology Exhibition (ITEX) 2017
- Gold Medal for International Intellectual Exposition 2017
- Gold Medal for Science and Engineering Design Exhibition Cum Competition (SEDEX) 2016
- Silver Award for Invention & Innovation Competition for Private Institutions of Higher Learning(PERINTIS) 2016
- Distinction Award for ‘Software Program Design and Development’ 2015
- Winner of Water Drone Competition for Makeweekend Robotics Challenge 2013
- Bronze award for Industry Excellence for Education – Business Excellence Award 2006 (Malaysia Canada Business Council)
- Top Award for ‘Best Website Design’ – Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia Awards 2008
- Award of Excellence in Research & Development – Ministry of Education Excellence Awards 2003
- Top Award in Network and PC Maintenance category – Prime Minister’s Golden Hands Award 2004
Master of Philosophy in Engineering - Dual Degree Awarded by Asia Pacific University, Malaysia & Staffordshire University, UK
KPT/JPS (N/520/7/0071) (MQA/PA6112) 04/20
This Master of Philosophy in Engineering programme is conducted by research and is assessed via oral presentations and reports at various junctures, including a Proposal Defence, regular half-yearly progress monitoring at research colloquiums, Work Completion Defence, Thesis Examination and Viva Voce.
Students would need to take one taught module on Research Methodology to gain the pre-requisite knowledge to effectively carry out their research. Regular discussions with the supervisors would be expected to ensure the direction of research as well as the quality and significance of the findings.
This programme confirms your ability to investigate an important issue with research expertise, work with initiative, make sound judgements, draw conclusions and write a thesis to explain your arguments. These are extremely marketable qualities that can be used to widen your career options and general employability, both immediately after you finish your masters, and later on in your career.
- Academic / Lecturer
- Quality Assurance Specialist
- Product Design and Developer
- R&D Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Engineering Consultant
Conversion to PhD
Students of the MPhil programme may convert their MPhil into a PhD candidate if they satisfy all the criteria below:
- Display excellent progress in their research.
- Able to demonstrate the potential of their project to be expended to PhD level.
- Pass a rigorous assessment.
Successful conversion means that the student will no longer be an MPhil candidate but will instead become a PhD candidate with their candidature start date backdated to their original MPhil registration date. Hence, it allows the student to gain a PhD award within a shorter timeframe, without the need to complete a Masters programme.
Ideally, student works with potential supervisors to develop proposal.
Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation (APU), Malaysia
Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation (APU). This new Ultra-Modern University Campus in Technology Park Malaysia (TPM) is designed to be the state-of-the-art teaching, learning and research facility providing a conducive environment for students and staff.
TPM is the ideal location for this new and contemporary Campus due to its strong positioning as Malaysia’s primary hub for leading-edge and high-tech developments in a wide variety of areas.
It is also located in one of the most rapidly developing areas in Kuala Lumpur, and is well served and accessible through major highways, LRT and other forms of public transportation. APU’s new campus is setting a new benchmark for design excellence among Malaysian Universities, combining an eco-friendly campus with a dynamic blend of technology and innovation to enable professional learning.
It is a magnificent teaching & learning space for our Students & Staff designed by our award-winning architects & consultants. This university considered as:
- A stylish blend of functionality & accessibility.
- A unique fusion of technology, innovation and creativity.
- Cutting-edge technologies.
- A wide variety of spaces to learn, engage and transform.
- An ultra-modern campus built today for the needs of tomorrow.
Staffordshire University, UK
No.1 Business School in the world, ranked by Edurank for the use of social media
Staffordshire University is a modern University with 100 years’ experience of pioneering higher education within the creative, technological and scientific industries. The University delivers relevant, inspiring and vocationally led courses and thus develop students who are independent thinkers.
Based in the Midlands in the heart of the UK, the University is home to approximately 16,500 students that make up a dynamic and vibrant community. This learning community is global and on-campus students represent 90 worldwide nations. In addition, the University has an international network of over 20,700 students studying on Staffordshire University courses at over 40 partner organisations around the world (July 2014).
Passionate about transforming the lives and aspirations of the individuals and communities it serves, the University is agile and flexible; quick to adapt as student requirements change and is renowned for providing ground-breaking new courses and outstanding learning opportunities.
Staffordshire University has the 4th best Teaching Quality for Accounting courses, ranked by The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017. Staffordshire University’
Accounting and Finance degrees is ranked 7th in the UK for overall satisfaction.
Staffordshire University is one of the largest providers of transnational education provision with partners in Europe, Africa and Asia. APU Malaysia is listed as one of the Staffordshire University’s key partners in the Staffordshire University Financial Statements and Governor’s Report 2015/2016.
In 1901, industrialist Alfred Bolton acquired a 2-acre (8,100 m2) site on what is now College Road and in 1906 mining classes began there. In 1907, pottery classes followed, being transferred from Tunstall into temporary buildings, and in 1914 the building now known as the Cadman Building was officially opened as the Central School of Science and Technology by J. A. Pease, President of the Board of Education. A frieze over the entrance depicts potters and miners. In 2013, the Library Conference room in the Cadman building was renamed the Alfred Bolton room.
In 1915, a department was established for the commercial production of Seger cones used to measure and control the temperatures of ceramic furnaces, based upon research completed by the principal, Joseph Mellor. Grants from the Carnegie United Kingdom Trust in 1924 were used to develop the ceramics library and in 1926 the name of the institution was changed to North Staffordshire Technical College. By 1931 extensions to the Cadman Building ran along Station Road and housed the Mining Department. A grant was awarded from the Miners’ Welfare Fund to fund the building work. The new extension also housed the library, which by now had 35,000 volumes. By 1934 the college consisted of four departments: Engineering (nearly 800 students), Pottery (just over 600 students), Mining (just under 500 students), and Chemistry (under 300 students).
In 1939, new engineering workshops were occupied for the first time and the land opposite the Cadman Building was purchased. By 1950 Victoria Road changed its name to College Road and the site now extended over 12 acres (49,000 m2). The Mellor Building and Experimental Production Block (now Dwight Building) were constructed for the North Staffordshire College of Technology by 1960.
Various faculty movements and further building work resulted in North Staffordshire Polytechnic being formed in 1970 with the merger of Stoke-on-Trent College of Art, North Staffordshire College of Technology (both based in Stoke-on-Trent), and Staffordshire College of Technology in Stafford. In 1977, the polytechnic absorbed a teacher training facility in Madeley, Staffordshire.
The polytechnic developed traditional strengths of the component institutions, e.g. ceramics (Stoke-on-Trent), computing (Stafford) and sports education (Madeley). The mining department closed as result of the decline of coal mining in the 1980s. New subjects were developed. North Staffordshire Polytechnic was amongst only a handful of third-level institutions in the UK to offer International Relations as a dedicated degree. The 1992 UK government Research Assessment Exercise placed the International Relations Department as the highest-rated in the institution.
In 1988, the institution changed its name to Staffordshire Polytechnic. In 1992, it became Staffordshire University, one of the new universities.
Here's the very first question I had been asked at the interview at Shell;"Tell us what you have done in University other than academically excelling...?", first thing that came to my mind without a doubt was the acknowledgment I received for participating in extra-curricular activities, that is APU EDGE. Although I'm a First Class Honours graduate, and there were many other candidates with similar, or even better academic qualifications during the interview, I began to realise the importance of APU EDGE as it helped me getting the job.
The APU EDGE transcript affirms my decision on how I developped myself as a student in APU. This is the university's support for me to continue my work in debates and also in sharing the opportunities that the university has offered me and my fellow graduates.
This has given me prove of my capabilities and the extra edge which makes me special from everyone else. I am thankful for this grand opportunity and will definitely use this as a leverage to challenge my future and reach for greater goals.
Why Study M.Phil at APU?
Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation (APU) is amongst Malaysia’s Premier Private Universities, and is where a unique fusion of technology, innovation and creativity works effectively towards preparing professional graduates for significant roles in business and society globally. APU has earned an enviable reputation as an award-winning University through its achievements in winning a host of prestigious awards at national and international levels.
Nurturing Professionals for Global Careers
APU nurture students as professionals to ensure that students are prepared for the global challenges ahead. Students success is APU best testimony; over 95% of APU graduates are employed by graduation.
20+ years of partnership with Staffordshire University (UK)
Solid relationship with Staffordshire University is among the strongest and most successful foreign collaborations in Malaysia, and is particularly notable in strong shared mission of producing highly employable graduates.
Rated No. 1 in Asia and Malaysia for Multicultural Learning Experience*
With more than 11,000 students from over 110 countries, APU University will ensure that students will gain memorable experiences alongside the diversified and colourful cultural environment.
* Student Barometer Wave 2015, ‘Studying with people from other cultures’
Regardless of the programme choose, students will be supported by highly qualified and enthusiastic professionals. Many enjoy an international reputation for
their research and actively engage with leading names in the industry.
APU University will equip students to become a worldready professional, with the knowledge, attributes, skills and expertise that employers look for.
Read the full institution profile at: Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation (APU)
- Bachelor’s degree in related field with minimum CGPA of 2.75 or equivalent as acceptable by the Senate.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field not meeting CGPA 2.75 but above CGPA 2.50 in related field; can be accepted provided that candidates have at least 5 years of working experience in a relevant field.
Payment Plan Options
Official Course Fee: RM 25,200 + £ 250 = Approx RM 26,575* (Exclusive Enrolment Fees, Registration Fees, and Miscellaneous Fees)
Staffordshire University Fee* = (£ 250)
- Payable upon commencement
- Full Payment: RM 25,200
- Instalment Plan Breakdown: RM 8,780 x 3 Instalments
- Monthly Payment: RM 1,920 x 14 Months
A fee of RM 500 (non-refundable) is payable upon enrollment.
Student ID Card
A fee of RM 30 is required for the Student ID Card.
The following is payable for the use of library facilities:
- Library Deposit (refundable): RM 400
- Library Fees: RM 300 (for Full-Time students only)
Important: For complete Fee Schedule - latest intake & latest course fee. Kindly request from our STUDYMASTERS.MY consultant.
Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation (APU), Staffordshire University, UK
18 Months, 29 Months
|Mode of Study||
Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
Conducted in Malaysia
Yes – Provisionally Accredited
Research Areas + 1 Taught Subject on Research Methodology
Yes, Available (3 Installments)
10% discount is given to students who get CGPA at least 3.20 in their undergraduate studies